Feb 24, 2010

Maybe I'm too paranoid or just too picky !

I ended up taking a nap when I got home. This week has been such a tiring week. I don't know what's going on with me. Usually I'm chipper and happy in the morning, but for some reason, I'm not. I find myself thinking about my book all day and when I get home, I usually dillydally on the Internet or I take a nap.

But the projection of my mind shall go on! All the gears are oiled and ready to last through the tests of time! These next several months are crucial for me. I have to focus and keep my mind stable while jugging school, my book, friends, my family, and other minor things.

I just... don't know about this week. I know for a fact that I'm going to write more of Zanguin around ten o'clock. I have a few thousand words already written (from an attempt I made a few months ago), so I'm maybe going to edit them, add to them, and then use them in the starting chapters.

What I really need to decide for myself is if I provide far too much information in the prologue and in the first chapter of the story. I really want the story to come to life through exposition. I find that most engaging when I am reading, so naturally, I'd like to write like that. But as a novice author, I'm not even certain if giving away too much in the beginning is a good thing or not. I guess I'll learn when I publish the book! :)

What hinders my decision making skills when I ponder this is the notation that I want my readers to be able to understand what 7.9 yér is or how big or how small the moon is in conjunction with the planet. I find it necessary to know that Zanguin is 7.9 yér, which happens to be 30,512 ft. I personally think it would engage my audience in a fixed state because as they open the first pages--BOOM--there it is; the conversions and comparisons of Earth to Zanguin.

I, as a novice author, don't know if this is effective or not.. or if that will even deter my readers from the book. Who wants to start off a book with several astronomical comparisons? I'm trying to enthrall and entice my readers, not bore them with numbers they do not care to mindfully absorb. But, I sort of sway toward the side that accepts my beginning pages because the book in question is going to be a science fiction novel. Avid Scifi readers would probably, possibly, expect that or not even be shocked at all because I guess those sorts of things could be found in a science fiction novel.

Maybe I am showing off too much or I'm trying to impress my audience because it is my first book. But what's wrong with that? I've created this world in my mind and I'm still adding onto it. What would be wrong about trying to impress and entice my readers in the first few pages. I was sedulous with this world of mine and I'd like to display my hard work in the best way possible. It does start with comparisons in the prologue and then it shoots right off onto the politics of Zanguin.

Why would that be an issue? Mayhaps I'm just thinking more complex than I need to.

I need an editor. I reread everything I write and edit to my satisfaction. It's almost like I find a new flaw or error every time I sit down to reread what has been written. I'm sure that's a good trait to have when being an author; this being one's own worst critic !

If you're in the same writing predicament as I am, here's a mantra I wrote if you need some motivation or inspiration to get out of a rut! :)

Seek not the count you want to write.
Seek the ones that come to light.
Share with letters your beautiful heart.
Mark the paper with words of art.


Miyäyu isto van,
Michael.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Let me know what is on your mind !